Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Yesterday's Movie:


Freedom Writers

I taught high school English for a couple years and before I had my first day of school, my aunt gave me this movie.  I was teaching in a rough neighborhood in a school that had, a few years prior to my arrival, been closed down because it had gotten so bad.  Students were failing, they had gang violence, etc.  While my students weren't as bad off as the kids in this movie, it certainly hit close to home and struck a chord with me.  What makes this movie better than most "white teacher in a ghetto school" is that it's a true story.  I've been out of the classroom for a couple years now and I still cry when I watch this.  There is so much hope in this movie and I love how the teacher, Erin Gruwell, doesn't give up on any of her students.  Go white girl!

Today's quote:

"Well, frankly, I wouldn't eat at the same bale of hay with him."

No comments: